Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Wombles

"We're so incredibly utterly devious
Making the most of everything
Even bottles and tins
Pick up the pieces and make 'em into something new
Is what we do

Underground, overground, wombling free
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folks leave behind."


I noticed the other day that a few of my friends had liked the Facebook page for The Wombles. Ah, the memories!
The Wombles was an old British TV show. I remember my sister used to joke that our Grandparents were Wombles, because they were always known for getting excited about various items they found or scored for free- from the side of the road, people's chuck outs etc.

And as this theme song came back into my head I realised
I HAVE BECOME A WOMBLE TOO!
My most favorite things are the free ones:

Bedside table boxes.
The brown one was given to me so I could carry some bits I had bought from a garage sale. I was more impressed with the box that the items I had paid for.
The orange box was bought form The Bower- not exactly free but only $10 which is close enough.



OK. The TV is a bit huge but it was FREE! We found it on the side of the road. I don't know exactly what made us pull over to pick it up, except that we had planned on buying a TV.
When we got it home it had a flickering bar on the right hand side, so we googled it, found it needed a replacement part, ordered it and got an electronics wiz friend to fix it for a case of beer! Very proud.
The cabinet was another side of road find. It had a light laminex timber finish which was pretty ugly so I painted it, keeping the kitsch gold trim.




No comments:

Post a Comment